The following press release is a title announcement from Arrow Films. For more announcements from Arrow and other distributors, click here.
Arrow Video is pleased to confirm the highly anticipated Blu-ray & Steelbook release of Jack Hill’s landmark Blaxsploitation classic FOXY BROWN on Monday 24th June.
Finally available on Blu-ray for the very first time anywhere in the world, this stunning version of FOXY BROWN features a beautifully restored high-definition transfer, the super-deluxe edition comes approved by Jack Hill himself.
A true innovator of America’s exploitation genre, Hill is currently available for select interviews. Arrow will also release another of his trademark films, Spider Baby, on Blu-ray in the coming weeks.
The super-deluxe package, which is available both as a standard Blu-ray and as a limited edition Blu-ray steelbook, is LOADED with special features and bonus material.
Featuring audio commentary with Jack Hill, three new and exclusive featurettes, a gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and publicity images, original Foxy Brown theatrical trailer (as part of a comprehensive Jack Hill trailer reel) and an in-depth collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Blaxploitation expert Josiah Howard and an interview with Pam Grier by Calum Waddell.
Keeping with what is a now a fan-favoured tradition of Arrow Video restorations, FOXY BROWN will come complete with a reversible sleeve, featuring the original 1974 artwork and a stunning new illustration from The Red Dress.
Quentin Tarantino is a fully-fledged member of the Foxy Brown fan club. He counts Jack Hill as one of his favourite American film directors and biggest influences. Tarantino’s 1997 film “Jackie Brown” pays homage to both Jack Hill and Foxy Brown, and features Pam Grier in the lead role (“Jackie” is a reference to Jack Hill, and “Brown” is a reference to Foxy Brown).
Foxy Brown – Synopsis
When Foxy Brown’s undercover-agent boyfriend is gunned down on the orders of evil drug kingpins, she stops at nothing to exact a thrillingly brutal revenge. This is one of the all-time great Blaxploitation films, pulling out all the stops at a time long before anyone had thought of political correctness.
After linking her boyfriend’s murder to a so-called “modelling agency”, Foxy poses as a prostitute to infiltrate the company, saving fellow black women from a life of drugs and sexual exploitation in the process.
Pam Grier was given the role of a lifetime as the street-smart yet intensely sexy Foxy, modelling a stupendously varied range of Seventies threads while righteously kicking villainous white butt at every opportunity.
With an incredible supporting cast, a suitably funkadelic soundtrack and just the right balance of sex and violence, Foxy Brown is still, undisputedly, the meanest chick in town.
The director-approved Special Features included on the deluxe editions of FOXY BROWN are as follows:
– Restored High Definition presentation (1080p), on Blu-ray for the first time in the world!
– Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.
– Original Uncompressed PCM Mono 2.0 Audio.
– Audio commentary with director Jack Hill.
– “From Black and White to Blaxploitation” – Actor Sid Haig speaks about his long and influential friendship with Jack Hill.
– “A Not So Minor Influence” – An Interview with Bob Minor, the first African-American member of the Stuntman’s Association, and co-star of Foxy Brown.
– “Back to Black” – Legendary actors Fred “The Hammer” Williamson (Black Caesar) and Austin Stoker (Sheba Baby, Assault on Precinct 13), alongside Rosanne Katon (Ebony, Ivory, and Jade) and film scholar Howard S. Berger speak about the enduring popularity of the Blaxploitation film.
– Photo gallery of behind-the-scenes and publicity images.
– Original Theatrical Trailer.
– Trailer Reel – Trailers for all the major works by Jack Hill including Foxy Brown, Coffy and Switchblade Sisters.
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Red Dress.
– Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Josiah Howard, author of Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide, a new interview with Pam Grier by Jack Hill biographer Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.
“FOXY BROWN” – BLU-RAY & STEELBOOK EDITIONS – PRODUCT INFORMATION
Release Date Monday 24th June 2013
Ltd Ed Steelbook Catalogue Number FCD782
Ltd Ed Steelbook Barcode 5027035009506
Standard Blu-ray Catalogue Number FCD781
Standard Blu-ray Barcode 5027035009490
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1
Audio 2.0 Mono
Arrow Video: Official Website
Arrow Video: Official Twitter
Arrow Video: Official Facebook
Arrow Video Official YouTube Channel
Latest posts by Jon Abrams (see all)
- [THE BIG QUESTION] WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FEMALE ENSEMBLE IN MOVIES? - July 22, 2016
- [IN THEATERS NOW] THE BOY (2016) - January 24, 2016
- Cult Movie Mania Releases Lucio Fulci Limited Edition VHS Sets - January 5, 2016