DG’S PICK OF THE WEEK
If there was one box that stood out at my video store it was FRANKENHOOKER (with DEAD PIT being a close second). FRANKENHOOKER was the first “talking box” that we had and it was well played in the aisles of horror. “Wanna date” the box would scream. I heard that over and over until the battery died about a year later. The box may no longer speak, but the film still stands as an early 90’s horror-comedy classic. Creeper may not have dug this flick, but that fucker doesn’t dig a goddamn thing.
Frank Henonlotter is a funny fucker. Humor is stamped all over his work from BASKET CASE to BRAIN DAMAGE. Those films have their share of shocking scenes and dance on the boundaries of the macabre, but they always know when to wink at the camera. I think both of those films are better than FRANKENHOOKER but I also think that FRANKENHOOKER understands what it is more so than Henonlotter’s previous films; a comedy with some horror riffs that ultimately play as a tribute to flicks like THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN’T DIE. Henonlotter now works for Something Weird Video, finding and rescuing the flicks we all crave and treasure (he also directed the 2010 Herschel Gordon Lewis documentary THE GODFATHER OF GORE). I don’t know about you, but I would dig the hell out of another flick from the man that created a room full of exploding hookers.
As always, Synapse Films has done an incredible job with this release; it’s packed with 3 featurettes and one best audio commentaries I have heard this year featuring Henonlotter and Make-Up Effects Designer Gabe Bartalos. This is the uncut version of FRANKENHOOKER presented in a 2K high-definition transfer created from original vault materials and digitally re-mastered 5.1 surround sound. There is a reason Synapse is one of the best labels around, and FRANKENHOOKER is exhibit A.
- Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1
- DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround
- Audio Commentary with Director Frank Henenlotter and Make-Up Effects Designer Gabe Bartalos
- A Salad That Was Once Named Elizabeth – Patty Mullen Featurette
- A Stitch in Time: The Make-Up Effects of FRANKENHOOKER Featurette
- Turning Tricks: Jennifer Delora Remembers FRANKENHOOKER- Featurette
- Jennifer Delora’s FRANKENHOOKER PHOTO SCRAPBOOK
- Theatrical Trailer
SEE YOU ON FORTY DEUCE,
- [THE BIG QUESTION] WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FEMALE ENSEMBLE IN MOVIES? - July 22, 2016
- [IN THEATERS NOW] THE BOY (2016) - January 24, 2016
- Cult Movie Mania Releases Lucio Fulci Limited Edition VHS Sets - January 5, 2016